White Light 111 – Blu Jemz
“When I was in college I became lightweight obsessed with Stereolab. Once I even took the Path Train to Hoboken all by myself, hoping to get into a sold-out show of theirs at Maxwell’s. I couldn’t get in, but they let me listen to the whole thing from the hallway where they collected the money. Afterwards I ran up on the drummer and tried to convince him that they should do some rap stuff with me (obsession).
While recording this mix I ran across a great article, ‘stereolab and the ninties art of influence’, by Sabrina Tabuchi. It made me realize, exactly why I like this group so much. Growing up, all of my favorite records were being made with samplers. Stereolab was the first band I encountered that were attempting to (and succeeding at) recreating the aesthetic of sampling using live instruments and studio gear. The result was something entirely new, music that was meticulously patterned after what had informed it.
Anyways… I love them and felt they would make a great subject for a White Light Mix. All the other trax are by artists whom Stereolab have switched me on to over the years. Enjoy!
Miss you Marry Hanson.”
01. The Gentle Waves – Partner in Crime
02. Stereolab – Des Étoiles Électroniques
03. Faust – Passings
04. Cibo Matto – White Pepper Ice Cream
05. Beatniks – Le Sang Du Poete
06. Ryuichi Sakamoto – Bibo No Aozora (Jemz Edit)
07. Stereolab – Metronomic Underground (Wagon Christ Mix)
08. Can – Spoon (Sonic Youth Mix)
09. Sonic Youth – Little Trouble Girl
10. Neu! – Vier ½
11. Broadcast – Hawk
12. Cocteau Twins – Pitch the Baby
13. Blonde Redhead – Tons Confession
14. The Cardigans – Nil
15. Stereolab – John Cage Bubblegum
16. Au Revoir Simone – Through the Backyards
17. Evan Ziporyn – New York Counterpoint: Slow (Reich)
18. Yura Adams – Dreams Of Paradise
White Light 111 – Blu Jemz (RIGHT CLICK, SAVE AS)
Feel free to share and blog this mix, but please reference this page!